by Catherine L. Tully
Well, the holidays are right around the corner–so I thought I would do a “gift ideas” post for writers. Most of us are friends with other writers, so it goes without saying that we not only would like to get some of these, but can give a few as well. Please share if you have others!
Here are my ten suggestions:
1. Stephen King’s book, On Writing. It’s terrific.
2. A gift card for a nice meal out…. Continue reading 10 Gift Ideas For Writers
Facebook has a thing going about favorite books and I thought I’d share my list here for FZ readers. Feel free to chime in with some of yours.
In no particular order…
1. The Things They Carried (Tim O’Brien)
2. Love In The Time Of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
3. Whoever Fights Monsters (Robert K. Ressler)
4. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
5. The Road Less Traveled (M. Scott Peck)
6. One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich (Alexander Solzhenitsyn)
7. The Giving Tree (Shel Silverstein)
8. On Writing (Stephen King)
9. A Prayer For Owen Meany (John Irving)
10. An Air That Kills (Andrew Schneider, David McCumber)
11. The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
12. Into Thin Air (Jon Krakauer)
13. The Endurance: Shackleton’s Legendary Antarctic Expedition (Caroline Alexander)
14. The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison (Pete Earley)
15. A Walk In The Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail (Bill Bryson)
Do you understand the difference between passive and active voice in writing? If you take a little time to work on this one thing it will improve your writing tenfold. Start here, get the basics, and see your writing begin to come alive. This is worth the time!
Also take a peek at this resource from writer Stephen King.
If you want to use Microsoft Word to help you eliminate passive voice, follow the steps outlined by Nagesh Belludi on his blog, “Right Attitudes, Ideas For Impact“.
If you haven’t heard of The Haven Foundation you are in for a treat! This charity is the baby of author Stephen King–and the best part is that it is for writers! From the site:
The Haven Foundation is a national, nonprofit organization making grants to freelance writers and artists experiencing career-threatening illness, accident, natural disaster or other emergency or personal catastrophe. The Haven Foundation is a small fund providing grants of up to $25,000 per year, renewable for up to five years (pending approval of renewal application).
It’s nice to know that Mr. King has such affinity for other writers. If you have ever read about his life you will know that he is no stranger to struggle. Hats off to you Mr. King–and thanks for thinking of all of us out here!
This is hands down the best book on writing I have ever, ever read. It’s smart, funny (hillarious really) and is one of those books that you will be very sorry to have end. I wish he’d write another one. Frankly, I’m not a big Stephen King fan, but this book has some of the best advice I have ever seen on the craft. I have a good deal of respect for him after having read this, and it is something I would highly recommend to any writer–new or established. I don’t write fiction and I still got a lot out of it.
Buy Now for $7.99